In the 17th and 18th centuries, the notables built remarkable mansions whose facades you can admire in the cobbled streets of the heart of the city. Hôtel Germain, place Gérard de Nerval This hotel takes its name from Jacques Germain, king's secretary in 1608. The building, in the classical style, remodeled in the 18th century, alternates rectangular and circular skylights under a curvilinear pediment, surmounted by a firepot, large French windows. It is built in a park surrounded by a splendid wall with facing spirals and pierced by a noble portal with bosses and pilasters, in a triumphal arch. Two superb cellars remain in place of the buildings of the 13th and 14th centuries, the first having served as a quarry and the second vaulted at the end of the 13th century. Hôtel d'Hérivaux, rue de la Chancellerie This residence is wrongly nicknamed the Hôtel de la Chancellerie, because one of its inhabitants, Henri de Marle, was Chancellor of France at the beginning of the 15th century. Its Renaissance facade, remodeled in the 18th century, is characterized by a central pilaster incorporating Doric capitals on the ground floor, Ionic on the first floor and Corinthian on the second. Two corner towers frame this facade, open at the top by a symmetrical window accentuating the impression of height. Hôtel du Haubergier, rue du Haubergier Brick and stone residence from the beginning of the 16th century, listed as a historical monument, which rises over three floors. From the street you can admire the presence of gargoyles under the roof, as well as a corner niche containing a small statue and chimeras. In 1926, the hotel became a museum, in order to house the collections of the Society of History and Archeology of Senlis until their transfer in 1982 to the former episcopal palace, currently the Museum of Art and Archeology . It has now become private property again. Chantrerie Saint-Rieul, place Mauconseil This former canonical hotel, called by the people of Senlis “the Great Chantrerie”, has preserved some very beautiful Gothic rooms from the 14th century. The building is surmounted by a 16th century turret, topped with a conical roof. Hôtel de Cornouaille, rue du chat Haret Former canonical house of Sainte-Anne (from 1359 to 1582), also called Hôtel de la Marine, belonged to the Cornouaille family in 1626. The building was rebuilt in the 17th century, over two levels with Mansard roof pierced with small dormers with triangular and curvilinear pediments. The Cornish arms surmount the main door and an antique vessel, surmounted by a crown, is present on the gable of the hotel. Other mansions are also very interesting to discover: the Saint-Simon hotel, the Londe hotel, the Angel hotel…. Some of these private mansions open the door to their gardens and cellars during the European Heritage Days in September, do not hesitate to visit them on this occasion!
- Guided tour: no
- Free visit: no
|From 01 January to 31 December|